This time of year I love to open the windows and feel the breeze through the house. Most days however I will be enjoying the cool air and then “SLAM” a door blows shut. We use all sorts of things to block the doors only to step on them or trip over them in the dark. A couple of years ago I came up with the idea of covering bricks with felt. Well, I bought the bricks and just the other day found them buried in the garage. Perfect timing. The Ladybug idea came to me and the result is as follows:
1. I bought an 8″ X 4″ X 2 1/4″ paver at my local Home Depot.
2. Cut a 13 5/8″ X 9 1/2″ piece of black felt or other non fray fabric. At each corner cut a 2 3/4″ square.
4. Using a double thickness of thread baste around the top of the box pulling it in tight.
5. Using a double thickness of thread cross stitch the brick to pull in the sides nice and tight.
6. Cut a 7 3/4″ X 3 3/4″ piece of green felt. Slightly round the corners to match the brick. Using your hot glue gun put a large bead of glue all the way around the edge of the black fabric and place the green felt matching edges.
7. Cut from your black fabric the head piece and hot glue in the center of one end.
8. Cut out wings from red felt. Satin stitch black dots onto the wings. I blanket stitched the edges with black thread and also sewed a line down the center to divide the wings.
9. Run a bead of hot glue all the way around the outside edges of the wings and glue in place, centering the dividing line with the center of the head overlapping about 1/4″ of the head.
10. No more slamming doors in the middle of the night or any other time.