A friend has several very large rhubarb plants. When she offered some fresh rhubarb we jumped at the opportunity. We are so excited to have some fresh rhubarb in the house we are having a difficult time deciding what to do with it. We went through several options, the usual strawberry-rhubarb crisp or strawberry rhubarb pie, the unusual rhubarb slush or muffin. We went with more baked goods this time, cake. We may love cake at our house and it never lasts long.
My husband was introduced to Rhubarb while he served his mission in Canada. He introduced me to it when we were first married, and well that is one relationship that has flourished. I am so excited to have a stash of rhubarb to play with as the summer goes on, it should be fun!
1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all purpose gluten free flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 cup milk
2 cups rhubarb, chopped
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1. Line the bottom of two 9 inch round pans with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix sugar, oil, egg, and vanilla until smooth. (I used my electric mixer)
3. In a separate bowl mix flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and xanthan together. Add to the sugar mixture alternating with the milk.
4. Mix in the rhubarb and sliced almonds with a spoon or spatula. Split the batter into the two prepared pans.
5. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes then remove from pan to cool completely.
6. Drizzle with favorite frosting.
If you are new to Spindles Designs we would love for you to subscribe to our e-mail updates or follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter.
You might also enjoy these other items: